sexta-feira, 29 de junho de 2018

MeteoClock - The clock with weather information

Hi guys, today I bring you a new project that took me a while to reach where I'm but the result was worth it. It is not 100% finished given that I'm still reviewing and doing minor upgrades to the code but right now it's stable and ready to use.  As you can read in the title I called it MeteoClock and as his name suggests it is a clock with weather information. Bellow, you can see a preview of my project:





As you can see in the video the screen displays several fields of information about the date, hour and weather. 
MeteoClock screen in sections
The screen is split into four pieces and for simplifying the explanation I will use the image on the left with the sections already drawn by me. On the top, the first section as it's possible to see has the current date and day of the week. The second section has the current hour and minute in 24-hour format. The third section displays the current weather in Celsius as the maximum and minimum temperature for the current day. It also has the weather status as a representative icon of it. The fourth and last one has the weather forecast for the next 2 days and it displays the maximum and minimum temperature and a representative icon for weather status in that day.




MeteoClock uses an NTP server in order to keep date always updated and take into consideration the daylight savings time. It also consumes 2 web services to retrieve data that is essential to his fully functional behavior. One of the web services is the Wunderground, the weather service, that is used to get the current weather information and the forecast for the next 2 days. The second web service is used to retrieve the sunrise and sunset time in the given coordinates so the interface will be able to keep up with sun position.

The case used in this project was created and design by me and is also available on the repository with the code of this project.

Source Code

Materials Used:
- 1 x ESP8266
- 1 x LCD TFT ILI9341 2.2"
- 1 x Switch

Schematics:

MeteoClock schematics


Now, you just need to assemble everything as you see on the schematics and print the case from the .stl files and put it all together.


Keep in mind that futures code releases will be done to my repository and this publication may not be updated so always check my repository and read the README file.

4 comentários:

  1. Hello! It is a very nice weather station :)
    Since WU is not providing free API anymore, any chance to make an openweather version? :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Hi Van Zan, I'm so happy to know that you enjoyed the project! I will try to update the repository with a working version of this project during the weekend!

      Eliminar
    2. Hi Van Zan, it took some time but I finished fulfilling your request and I updated the repository with a newer version of the code with a working version of OpenWeather API. I apologise for the time I took.

      Eliminar
  2. Hi!

    I am the one who needs apologize for the very late response. I have been on an Arduino diet lately( past 1.5 years). I still like your meteo clock cuz its simple but neat. If u ever publish your source code i would be very happy!

    Best wishes to you! :)

    ResponderEliminar